The Studio: New Look for New Challenges Ahead

The Studio

where being comes before doing

ON HER BALLET TRAINING: Krissy started training at the age of 19 to the amusement of friends and to the horror of her parents. She is a Level C student at the Turning Pointe School of Ballet and dances under the tutelage of former soloist of the Philippine Ballet Theater, Ms. Mylene Saldana. Krissy joined the school in August 2004 but went on a leave of absence in January 2005 to attend to her academics. Krissy resumed attendance in July 2005 and is now doing pointe work. She treats each class as another chance to look less like a delusional klutz and more like a ballerina. She hates left turns and pique en arabesques.

Monday, February 20, 2006

New Look for New Challenges Ahead

The other template, as lovely as it was, was getting rather tedious. So I hope you (my fictional reader) enjoy the new look. It needs tweaking I know but I'll have to do that later on.

Ms. Mylene has taken us from two days a week of center work in pointes to having all our classes in pointes from start to finish. Of course, we do warm-ups before slipping our toes shoes in so my arches aren't complaining all that much.

Barre work tunred out to be more difficult in pointe shoes. We have to releve to pointe instead of demipointe and all the battement frappe and degages are killing us all. WE're sweating and grunting like pigs. But we're all having great fun. The new reality of how weak your body is creates another challenge of trying to strengthen it until you can do even if just the barre exercises right.

Ms. Mylene spared us the horror of battement degage devant. We almost fell to her feet.

I never seem to strike the balance between my sides. My left leg and foot were stronger than my right side at the beginning. But now, my right leg is the one who can really sustain that pointe work and I have a wonderful arch that helps me during the center work with those pesky arabesques. It looks like I overshot the strengthening exercises on my right side so now it's stronger.

Meanwhile, the left side has compensated by being more flexible and supple. My left side used to be so stubborn during stretches. Looks like I overshot the stretching on this side.

Blisters were scraped open during the class. I forgot to bring my tape along and I was too shy to use my classmate's tape liberally. So now, I have three bandaged digits which give me hell in the shower. Never. Ever. Forget your toe tape!

Haha. I did a single, CLEAN! pirouette! With my right leg as the working leg of course. The sad thing was I couldn't repeat it. Durg! I have a nasty habit of whipping my foot back then front during the turn. It's like I'm excited to do foettes which is such a high ambition for one who can hardly perform a single turn. Pirouettes from fifth are hell. I like them from fourth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home